Followers

Thursday, April 18, 2024

A tale of gratitude :The unsung hero


#आपबीती

#आप_बीती

A tale of gratitude :The unsung hero

The guard said, "I will forever be indebted to you, sir; your appreciation letter will give me a monthly raise of Rs. 10.". I could see the glaze and spark in his eyes, as if I were bestowing a fortune on him. We walk past several stories in our lives. Some beautiful stories remain ensconced in our hearts and are unforgettable. I am sharing this story because, when alone, I sometimes recall the facial expression of that fellow. Till then, I never knew that a paltry sum for us would mean a fortune for some hapless fellows. I still remember those glazing eyes full of hope.


In the bustling heart of New Delhi, amidst the towering edifices of commerce and luxury, lay the World Trade Tower, a beacon of modernity in the midst of an ancient city. Within its walls, amid the corridors of power and prestige, unfolded a tale that spoke not of grandeur or opulence, but of the quiet nobility found in the simplest of souls.




  A crisis Unfolds:The theft at Office


Those were the days when my office was at the World Trade Tower on the campus of the Inter Continental Grand Hotel, Barakhamba Road, in New Delhi. One day, the batteries of a powerful DG set were stolen from the basement. This was a precarious situation for us, as some top MNCs & top companies were our key accounts. Any interruption in their services may have put us in a bind, as we were charging premium tariffs from them.

I summoned the security manager, hauled up for these lapses, and asked to retrieve the batteries; before that, to arrange backups fast. Two days passed, but without any results. On the third day, batteries were retrieved from an unknown automobile workshop due to the agility of one of the guards. It was found that a security guard manning our premises was working on a clue; his presence of mind and agility found the batteries.

I summoned the said security guard to my office. A man of around 52 years entered my room, saluted me, and very politely introduced himself. I applauded and appreciated his agility and asked him if he needed any words to be conveyed to his seniors or an appreciative letter from my side to his company appreciating his work, which may serve him in his future growth prospects or which may fetch him a quick promotion or a good pay raise.



Honouring the Unsung Hero

He promptly said that my appreciation letter about his deed to his company would suffice, as it would fetch him a pay raise. I felt very happy that at least my appreciation letter would do something good for him with a monthly raise anywhere between Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000. With a spark in his eyes and full of happiness, he informed me to provide an appreciation letter that would give him a raise of Rs. 10 per month. I could see his gleaming face and glazing eyes, and his facial expression was full of hope that now he would get a monthly raise of Rs. 10/. With a sincerity that touched the depths of the soul, he expressed his appreciation for the opportunity to serve to the best of his abilities, his only request being a letter of commendation to his superiors.



I was really taken aback by his expressions that, even in 2005, the value of 10 bucks was not a big deal. Here was a man very satisfied with a paltry sum. I kept wondering how some people can be so honest and naive and quite away from the cutthroat competition of the outer world. I don't know at this present juncture where this person may be, but I can't forget his simplicity and honesty reflected in his eyes.


Memories  That Resonate

 I was left to admire and wonder about the humble gratitude of the common man when the world is driven by ambition and greed. Here was a man who found solace in just discharging his duties in an efficient way and carrying values on his shoulders. In a modern world where success was measured by material wealth and social wealth, here was a man who considered values to have much more precedence than any other things in life. .  


Even after the passage of time, the memory of the humble security guard stayed with me, a gentle reminder of the enduring power of simplicity and gratitude. But one day I heard someone screaming my name while I was strolling through New Delhi's busy streets. when I Turning around saw a familiar face – it was the same security guard, his eyes now filled with a radiant joy that seemed to light up the entire street.


With a beaming smile, he approached me and handed me a letter. It was from his company, thanking me for recognizing his dedication and commitment. But what truly brought tears to my eyes was the news enclosed within  the company had decided to grant him a significant promotion and raise, a reward for his unwavering diligence.


Overwhelmed with emotion, the guard shared his gratitude, thanking me for the role I played in this unexpected turn of events. In that moment, amidst the bustling chaos of the city, we shared a heartfelt embrace, celebrating not just his success, but the enduring power of kindness and recognition.


As I watched him walk away, his steps filled with newfound confidence, I couldn't help but feel a profound sense of happiness. In the end, it was not just his story that had a happy ending, but mine as well, knowing that a small act of appreciation had sparked a chain reaction of positivity and fulfillment.

As the sun set for another day in the busy metropolis of New Delhi, I found solace in the fact that, amidst the chaos and din of the world, there existed moments of profound grace and profound simplicity. There was a flame of hope and a promise of a better tomorrow.


Some stories of life really touch our souls.

🌷🌷 🌷🌷

-By Sunil Kumar Pathak


1 comment:

  1. Very touching story of humility of a man untouched by trappings of wealth and power. Lovely write-up.It touched my soul.

    ReplyDelete